Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Grains of Sand

We ran into this delightful sand castle on the beaches of Florida. Someone had spent lots of time sculping tiny white grains of sand to form this sight. There were motes and trees and tiny steps, windows and look out towers.

I am reminded of the tiny grains of sand - gazillion-millions of them, each created by God. They are washed back and forth into the sea and back onto the beach. They provide a soft landing for our toes. There are miles and miles of beautiful beaches full of sands of different colors.

I love walking the beach - wherever there is sand. Later this week I'll be walking the sand beaches of Lake Michigan. I'm headed to SALTS - Survivors of Abuse Leadership Training. I'm one of the leaders on the team. We have people coming from across the US and all over the world to learn how to go back to their home churches and start a ministry to the wounded and hurting. We use our stories of harm and the redemption God has written into us to walk along side others who have hurtful stories from their past. And we teach them to use their redemptive stories to walk with those God will bring across their paths.

It's always a mountain top week for me. It will have its difficult moments. Walking with others in their pain is hurtful. But seeing the glory God has planned for them as they journey toward His Light is such a gift.

If you are curious, the web site for Open Hearts Ministry, the host of SALTS is www.ohmin.org. It is through this training that I direct my ministry in my local area called Window of Hope. My passion is to use my story of redemtion to give hope to others who are struggling along the way.

Maybe I'll have time to built a sand castle of my own there on the beach.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Valerie,

    I hope Salts was a great week for you...you made such a huge impact on me during my week there. I still remember your kind eyes and loving words. I think of you often...glad you have started a blog!

    ReplyDelete