Thursday, April 5, 2012

Unfortunately the top was not down.......


here's the scene....
*standing in post office parking lot
*packages tucked safely in the trunk
purse on arm
*down with the trunk lid while simultaneously my keys are falling inside
*only one set of keys
*panic
*sick feeling in stomach
*call to hubby who is miles away on a job
*desperation followed by shame and onset of poor self talk about being careless, foolish, etc.

As I stood there feeling desperate, I looked up to see a truck pulling through the mail deposit lane. I ran to catch him, but he was unaware of my presence. I grabbed my cell phone and called the number on the side of his truck just as he was pulling out of my sight. First no answer and then a "hello" and "sure, I'll turn around and be right there."

The master locksmith found me in a state of shame and verbal self-harm. He methodically retrieved my keys (not an easy process in a well-crafted Toyota with a security system on board), while affirming that this was a simple accident and happens often in his daily work. He treated me with respect and reminded me that the mistakes I make do not define who I am.

Was my accidental locking myself out of my car and the timing of his mail deposit accidental. I think not! I learned a lot yesterday both about my car and about myself and what kindness looks like in the midst of a simple accident. It's another one of those God-incidences to note in my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment